Where is my organ donor to lend a hand?

Donor cardToday, I finally took a step that I have meaning to take for a long time. It is one of those things that I have always wanted to do but have never got round to doing.

I decided to become an organ donor.

My philosophy has always been that when I'm dead, how will I mind who is using my organs? It is also nice to think that my death could give life to another human being.

Admittedly, my decision wasn't totally my own and partly was in response to the front page of the Independent today. The story was concerning a proposal by the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) to change the law so every adult in the UK would be legally required to decide whether to donate their organs after death.

My first time reading the article gave me some reservations about the scheme. I thought forcing people make this kind of decision may lead to them thinking there was something wrong with their final choice of yes or no. However, reading on a bit further it turns out there will be a third option.

Unlike in Texas, (where the yes or no system was employed and over 80% of the population chose no), there will also be the option to 'ask my relatives'.

It will be interesting to see if this is implemented and the scheme could have numerous complaints if people felt they were being 'forced' to make a decision.

Also, unless people are facing certain death, it is unlikely they talk to relatives about whether they want to donate organs or not so the problem of making a yes or no decision would still exist.

All I know is I liked the freedom to choose for myself and I believe a lot of others will feel the same.

Maybe increased publicity and hard-hitting advertisements focused on the help that donating organs can give someone may be more effective?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently in my final year at Winchester University studying Journalism. I hope to become a music journalist although I now realise how difficult it would be to make a living from. Im currently assessing my career options so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Followers

Search This Blog

http://rpc.blogcatalog.com/