A Step Back in Time Part 1: Weezer

Ive decided to start my reflective gigography with a show that I still consider to be one of my favourites of all time.

It was in 2002 and (for those of you that know Weezer) it was the tour for the Green Album.

Weezer setlist Birmingham

Well, it was supposed to be but the original show at the Que Club (don't know if this venue still exists!)was cancelled and eventually moved to a bigger venue. In this transitional period, Weezer suddenly became huge off the success of the Green Album and by the time this tour eventually came around, they had already released a single off a new album Maladroit. So, I guess it could have been classed as the Maladroit tour.

Anyway, I went to the gig with a good friend of mine called Daniel Fullard whose name will appear pretty regularly in this series of blogs. By the way, he also happens to be a music genius and one of the kindest people you could ever hope to meet.

As I am sat here writing this, the main detail that I remember from the gig was how many people were there. The venue was absolutely packed to the rafters and it was clear to see that the gig must have been over-sold. This was also the first (and only) gig I went to in Birmingham when I watched from the balcony and I remember looking down on the poor people down in the pit squashed together like Sardines.

weezer ticket stubWhen the time finally came around, the houselights dimmed and Weezer hit the stage I vividly remember seeing the venue explode into a sea of writhing bodies. There was very minimal chat in between songs and the energy on stage was non-existent as the band just stood static and played.

The great thing about Weezer is they don't need gimmicks or huge pyrotechnics to put on a show. On this night they just seamlessly powered through tune after tune and not once did the audience look like they were disinterested.

The bands' set was a superb mix of new and old and when I got home I was lucky enough to find a set list on the Internet which I have included above.

Troubled front man Rivers Cuomo, in my own humble opinion, is one of the all time great songwriters and just watching him pour his heart out on stage through his music was nothing short of deeply moving.

Saying this gig changed my perception on music forever would be no exaggeration as on this night, more than any before it, I believe I truly appreciated a brilliant artist at work.

I will also never forget buying a hooded top outside the venue from a very dodgy looking man which to this day still doesn't fit me!

Part Two coming soon..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently in my final year at Winchester University studying Journalism. I hope to become a music journalist although I now realise how difficult it would be to make a living from. Im currently assessing my career options so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Followers

Search This Blog

http://rpc.blogcatalog.com/