Is True Blood really sucking the innocence out of children?

True Blood'True Blood' is a new smash hit US drama series that has just unleashed itself upon UK shores.

It is set in Louisiana and is loosely based around the idea that scientists have found a way to make artificial human blood, meaning vampires (no longer a danger to society) and humans are now living side-by-side.

The show regularly uses graphic and sometimes violent sex scenes as well as some rather colourful language that is sure to have the prude television purists up in arms.

One such objector called Olivia Lichtenstein was making her feelings very clearly known in the Times today.

Now rather than do my usual response to a comment piece I find interesting/absurd, I am going to highlight some other points about the piece and leave formulating the opinions up to you the reader.

For the benefit of the people who haven't had a chance to read the article, the basic overview is that Lichtenstein believes True Blood is "sucking the innocent out of our children" because of its gratuitous use of sex, swearing and violence.

She uses lose examples and weak arguments in a feeble attempt to argue her point but the main thing that struck me about this was the sloppy journalistic style of the piece.

Lichtenstein frequently uses wishy-washy statements in what appears to be an attempt to give her arguments validity. I have cited a few of these examples below with my own comments.

"Various U.S. studies have shown that teens who watch a lot of sexual content on TV are more likely to initiate intercourse.."

Various U.S. studies? With no mention of any specific studies or any facts and figures to actually back this up, it comes out as a totally hollow and meaningless statement.

"Firstly, the breakdown of the traditional family means that many children might not be supervised adequately."

What is the "traditional family?" Does anyone (Lichtenstein included) actually know what this means? Again, hollow and pointless.

"Many of my 16-year-old daughter's peers have been sexually active from the age of 13 or 14."

Firstly, we didn't really need to know this. Secondly, we are talking about a fantasy TV show about vampires. Boggles the mind to think that she might think that this could factor in the decision by young girls to become sexually active.

"One quarter of 12 to 15 year olds watch television or film content via websites."

How does she know this? No source of information is quoted here so this is a useless and possibly fraudulent statistic.

I could go on but I fear I will bore people.

My final point is that Lichtenstein's piece completely takes the notion of individuality and free will away from children in the decisions they face. Her article makes them appear as passive pawns in in the cruel and disturbing world of 'evil' television producers.

I do agree with one point she makes, we should "protect minds of the young". However I don't think banning a TV show about vampires would be the first place I would start.

Maybe banning the news would be better?

1 comments:

Chris Horrie 6 November 2009 at 14:51  

Alexa ranking 4.1 - see messageboard. Just quickly reading blogs today, not leaving comments and But please blog each week on each issue of WINOL - keep it positive! - that will really help you write your critical review of how it all went (it should essentially be a matter of stringing all your blog entries into a coherent piece of writing and handing that in).

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently in my final year at Winchester University studying Journalism. I hope to become a music journalist although I now realise how difficult it would be to make a living from. Im currently assessing my career options so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Followers

Search This Blog

http://rpc.blogcatalog.com/