A Step Back in Time Part 5: Biffy Clyro

Those of you who know me would have known this was coming at some point!

For me, the hardest part about writing about a Biffy Clyro show is choosing one (At the last count my tally of Biffy shows was just entering double figures.)


So, which one have I chosen I can hear you ask? Was it the show in 2007 with the mighty Frank Turner? Was it the show in 2004 when they supported Hundred Reasons and quite frankly blew them off the stage?

After much deliberation, I decided to write about the first time I ever saw them in Birmingham back in 2003.

Biffy Clyro have always been one of the most important bands in my life. I still remember the first time I ever heard them, I was lying in bed listening to Radio 1's late night rock show when they played the track '57.'

As soon as the track finised I text my mate and told him that I had just heard the best song I had ever heard in my life! This was a long time ago, before the band even had an official website. I searched high and low for that song on the internet but I didnt hear it again till I bought the album in 2002.I dont remember when the 2003 UK tour was announced, but I remember ordering tickets as soon as I found out about it.

Come the day of the show, I remember being more excited than I have ever been for a gig. I also remember the first song they played was 'the go-slow' , one of my all time favourite Biffy Clyro songs off their first album.

During the slow song 'Christopher's river', there was a group of guys standing next to the bar (myself included, even though I didnt know them!) and almost simulantaneously we pulled out cigarettes and lit up. I still have a very vivid memory of this one event and it has become one of my fondest memories of this show.

The only sour point was at the end of the gig, apparently there were some technical difficulties and I didnt find out till later that Biffy were actually scheduled to play an encore but it had to be scrapped.

However, this wasnt enough to stain the experience in the slightest and it still remains one of my favourite shows of all times.

Biffy Clyro are a live band, thats where they really excel. Dont get me wrong, I love their records and 'Blackened Sky' is, and always will be, my favourite album of all time. However to see them live adds another dimension to their music.

They play with such energy and enthusiasm that I genuinely believe this band loves playing music more than any other around today and that is why I will continue to pay money to watch them for as long as they are going.


See the other parts of A Step Back in Time here:
Part 1 Weezer
Part 2 The Used
Part 3 Bad Religion
Part 4 Mogwai

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently in my final year at Winchester University studying Journalism. I hope to become a music journalist although I now realise how difficult it would be to make a living from. Im currently assessing my career options so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Followers

Search This Blog

http://rpc.blogcatalog.com/