Remixing bands own songs with Creative Commons

I am taking an (extended) break from my law revision to write a blog about something that appeared in my twitter feed this morning.

Thinking about it, this blog concerns Creative Commons and copyright so I guess it is kind of connected to my revision anyway!












A company called Topspin Media alerted me to a new band by Dave Lovering and Joey Santiago (formerly of the Pixies) called The Everybody.

The band have released a collection of songs that are available to purchase/download with Creative Commons-licensed, royalty-free stems for remixing. This means you can take their music, edit it whichever way you want to make it your own.

What a great idea!

The really cool part is that you can then take your new version of the song, send it back to Joey and Dave for the chance to get your track on to a limited, vinyl edition of the album.

An equally cool aspect is that the release also comes with a special iTunes LP package. This includes a simple mixing console which allowing you to live mix one track from the album, all inside of iTunes!

The cost of the whole package including stems in WAV format + lossless + bonus tracks + MP3 + iTunes LP is $40, which I personally think is a bargain for such a innovation in music distribution.

If you haven't already, watch the above advert. It is brilliant!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently in my final year at Winchester University studying Journalism. I hope to become a music journalist although I now realise how difficult it would be to make a living from. Im currently assessing my career options so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Followers

Search This Blog

http://rpc.blogcatalog.com/