A Step Back in Time Part 6: Incubus

I know it's a cliche, but sometimes it's really strange to think how quickly time goes. The 14th of January next year will bring around the eighth anniversary of this gig. Eight years - that is a long time! In that time I have moved house three times, almost completed an undergraduate degree and had three different jobs...but I can still remember this show vividly.



Whether it was the fact that it was at one of my favourite venues in the world (the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton has some of the best acoustics this side of the Watford divide!) or because Incubus were the first really 'big' band that I saw live, this gig has stayed in my memory for a long time.

Their 2001 album 'Morning View' was the first Incubus album I really got in to. The album is an impressive amalgamation of styles and although many of their earlier work is good in its own right, in my opinion this is the complete Incubus record.

I am still so glad I got to see Incubus at this time back in 2002. They had just released their best record and they still had the impressive rhythm section partnership of Dirk Lance and Jose Pasillas. Dirk would later leave the band, taking with him any more decent Incubus records it would seem!

The Civic Hall was packed to the rafters and I remember being really far back when Incubus hit the stage. They launched straight into 'Circles' followed by 'Nice To Know You' , the first two tracks from 'Morning View'.

Managing to make some ground, I eventually got a good view from where I was able to witness the band feed off the energy of the crowd brilliantly. Their set was heavy with songs from 'Morning View' and its predecessor 'Make Yourself'. I can even remember the impressive light show for 'A Certain Shade of Green' and singer Brandon Boyd whipping out the bongos for old favourite 'New Skin'.

They finished on Incubus classic 'Pardon Me' which sent the audience into a frenzy. It proved to be the perfect song to end the night and as the crowd filtered out the doors, I remember thinking how good it is to watch a band at their absolute best.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently in my final year at Winchester University studying Journalism. I hope to become a music journalist although I now realise how difficult it would be to make a living from. Im currently assessing my career options so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Followers

Search This Blog

http://rpc.blogcatalog.com/